About Absentee Voting

About Absentee Voting in the Military or from Abroad

Voting is one of our fundamental rights as U.S. citizens. Members of the military, their families, and Americans living abroad can choose to exercise that right — from anywhere in the world.

The steps to take are just a little different when voting absentee. Here's how:

  1. Register to vote and request your ballot in one easy step. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) and send it to your election office.
  2. Fill out and send in your ballot when it arrives.

That's it. Check out more detailed info for Service members, eligible family members, and overseas citizens, as well as state-specific instructions.

Military and Overseas Voting Tips

This absentee voting process applies to U.S. citizens protected by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA):

  • Members of the Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps)
  • Members of the Merchant Marines
  • Eligible family members of the above
  • U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.