Overseas Citizen Voters

Overseas Citizen Voters

Absentee Voting Overview

FVAP encourages the use of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to start the absentee voting process as it is standardized for use across all states and will extend your eligibility to receive a ballot for all federal elections for at least one calendar year. The FPCA acts as both a registration and absentee ballot request form. We encourage overseas citizen voters to submit a new FPCA every year and when they move.

Never Resided in the U.S.? 

Click here to see if you're eligible to vote absentee.

FVAP also offers Additional Information and Resources for overseas citizens.

What is a Voting Residence?

Click here to see what your voting residence is.

You need a voting residence to vote by absentee ballot — even if you are only voting for federal offices. Your election office needs your exact voting residence address to determine which offices and candidates you are eligible to vote for — and to send you the appropriate ballot for your voting precinct.


Select a State to View

Select a State or territory from the map above to view State specific voting guidelines.