Military Voters

Military Voters

Absentee Voting Overview

FVAP encourages the use of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to start the absentee voting process as it is standardized for use across all States and will extend your eligibility to receive a ballot for all federal elections for at least one calendar year. The FPCA acts as both a registration and absentee ballot request form. We encourage our military voters to submit a new FPCA every year and when they move.

Service Voting Information

Each Service provides extensive voting assistance starting at the unit level. Assistance with any portion of the absentee voting process can be obtained by contacting your Installation Voter Assistance Office. Service-specific voting information can be found on the websites listed below or by contacting your Service Voting Action Officer.

Eligible Family Members

Military spouses and eligible family members may be covered under the same law that protects military members' absentee voting rights. This means if a military spouse or family member lives outside their voting jurisdiction, they can vote absentee in all federal elections. Whether changing states or moving to another country, we provide resources to help you send your vote home.

What is a Voting Residence?

Click here to see what your voting residence is.

Your voting residence is within your state of legal residence or domicile. It is the address that you consider your permanent home and where you had a physical presence. Your state of legal residence is used for state income tax purposes, determines eligibility to vote for federal and state elections, and qualification for in-state tuition rates.

FVAP also offers information on Transition Assistance, Additional Information, and Resources for Service members.

Select a State to View

Select a State or territory from the map above to view State specific voting guidelines.