Creating Mailpieces to Mail Election Materials
Guidelines for Election Mail
Election materials for UOCAVA citizens can be sent as free postage-paid via First-Class Mail as authorized by 39 USC 3406 by election officials. These election materials include the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), and State election materials, including letters acknowledging registration and State absentee ballots. For specific guidelines on preparing ballot materials, review Section 703.8.0 of the USPS Domestic Mail Manual or the USPS Election Officials' Mailing Resource Site.
Mailpiece Design and Printing
Make sure your mailings are properly designed by reviewing USPS guidance on Designing Election Mail. Properly designed mailings can cut postage costs and speed up delivery.
Follow these USPS guidelines when designing and printing your absentee balloting mailpieces for UOCAVA voters:
- Use black ink on white paper
- Place Facing Identification Marks at the top right-hand corner of the mailpiece
- Place "U.S. Postage Paid 39 USC 3406" in the upper right-hand corner. Print "PAR AVION" below
- Print "Official Absentee Balloting Material First-Class Mail" on front of the mailpiece with "No Postage Necessary in the U.S. Mail DMM 703.8.0" below
- Use the Official Election Mail Logo
Ballot Transmission Mailpiece Sample
Use this mailpiece style to send balloting materials to voters:
- Ballot Transmission Mailpiece Sample (Opens in a new window and requires Adobe Reader 7)
Ballot Return Mailpiece Samples
Use the mailpiece templates below when designing your ballot return mailpieces. Please include your election office's return address on the front of the mailpiece. Additionally, there are two samples of the back of the mailpiece. One is for use when a witness is required and the other is used when no witness is required. Use the mailpiece template your State law requires.
- Ballot Return Mailpiece Sample - Front
- Ballot Return Mailpiece Sample - Back (Witness not required)
- Ballot Return Mailpiece Sample - Back (Witness required)
(All files open in a new window and require Adobe Reader 7)