March 5 - ALEXANDRIA, Va. - The State of New York will conduct a special general election on Tuesday, May 5, 2015, for the 11th Congressional District in order to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Michael Grimm. This district consists of parts of Richmond County and Kings County.

If you are a New York resident from the 11th Congressional District and need to vote absentee, you may register and request an absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) found at Complete, sign and send the FPCA to your local election official who will send you a ballot once your request is received. If you are not currently registered, your request needs to be received by April 10; if you are currently registered, your request must be received by April 28.   

Detailed instructions and contact information is available at

If you do not receive your requested State ballot 30 days before the election, you may use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot to vote. The form and candidate names are available at under "Get My Ballot."


If you experience any issues or have questions, FVAP's call center is available at 1-800-438-VOTE (8683), DSN 425-1584 or at Toll-free phone numbers from 67 countries are listed at Find us on Facebook at /DoDFVAP and follow @FVAP on Twitter.

PDF version of FVAP Voter Alert #2