How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Wisconsin does not require Uniformed Service members to register. Permanent overseas voters can fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election office. This form allows you to register to vote and identifies you as a voter covered by UOCAVA (Federal law providing special protections). These voters may also use [] ( to fill out and print your registration; you do not need to provide proof of residence, but you must sign, postmark and mail the MyVote registration form or FPCA 20 days prior to the election to your town, village or city clerk. What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home to which you intend to return. A dependent of a Uniformed Service member may choose either their most recent Wisconsin residence or the Wisconsin residence of the Uniformed Service member. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? No. How can I submit my FPCA? If you are already registered to vote or if you are a Uniformed Service member, you can mail, email or fax the FPCA. Voters, who are registering for the first time and are not Uniformed Service members, must sign and mail the FPCA to their town, village, or city clerk. How often must I submit my FPCA? The FPCA is good for one calendar year. You should submit a new FPCA every calendar year or every time your address changes. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? Uniformed Service members and permanently overseas voters should use [] ( to request an absentee ballot. You can also request an absentee ballot from your town, village, or city clerk by submitting a request in writing (email, fax, typed or hand-written). How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)? By mail or in-person at the town, village, or city clerk's office. What must I do to use the FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? Uniformed Service members and their eligible family members may use the FWAB in any election including State and local elections without having made a prior request for a ballot. Permanent overseas voters, who have previously registered and requested a ballot, may use the FWAB to vote in primary or general elections for Federal office only. Otherwise, the permanent overseas voter must submit an FPCA with the FWAB for it to be counted. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes. You may register to vote in the town, village, or city where one of your parents was last domiciled before leaving the U.S. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? Your regular ballot and/or FWAB must be signed and dated in the presence of one adult U.S. citizen witness. Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? You can find town, village, or city clerk contact information at [ ] ( on the "Clerk and Office Holder" page. Clerks can provide the names of candidates and the text for ballot questions.