How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election office. This form allows election officials to identify you as a voter covered by *UOCAVA* (Federal law providing special protections). What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes, political parties in West Virginia may choose to allow those not affiliated with a party to vote in their primary. Please check with the Secretary of State. How can I submit my FPCA? By mail, email or fax. If you are submitting the FPCA to register to vote, you must also mail the original to your county clerk. How often must I submit my FPCA? In West Virginia, the FPCA is good for all regularly scheduled Federal elections for the calendar year in which it is submitted. You should submit a new one every time your address changes or after January 1 of each year. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? You may submit either the FPCA or the West Virginia Absentee Ballot Application to your local election office. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Ballot (FWAB)? By mail, email or fax. What must I do to use the FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? The FWAB can only be used if you have previously requested a ballot from your County Clerk and have not received that ballot. The FWAB may be used to vote in State and local elections. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes, in the county where either parent would be eligible to vote. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? No. Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? Please visit [] (, contact the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office or contact your County Clerk to learn more.