How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election office. This form can be used to register and identifies you as a voter covered by *UOCAVA* (Federal law providing special protections). The Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) can also be used for registration and voting, but if you use the FWAB for registration, ballots will not be sent for any future elections. Applicants with a Virginia DMV Driver's License or ID card are encouraged to visit [] ( for the new Virginia Department of Elections Online Registration Citizens Portal where you can register to vote, fill out an FPCA or update your information. What is my voting residence? The address where you (or a parent) were last registered to vote or eligible to register to vote in the U.S. For military voters, your legal residence. For overseas citizens, your last legal residence in the U.S. For details, please see [] ( Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes. How can I submit my FPCA? By mail, email or fax. You may also be eligible to apply and vote absentee in-person (for example, before you are deployed). How often must I submit my FPCA? The FPCA is good for **one full calendar year after the year you apply.** You should submit a new one every time your address changes or every year. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? The FPCA is the best way for a UOCAVA voter to request a ballot. You can also use the Virginia Absentee Ballot Application to request ballots for one election only. You can also contact visit your local registrar website or contact their office using the information at the end of this guide. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Ballot (FWAB)? By mail or commercial delivery, and it must be signed by a witness. What must I do to use the FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? The FWAB can be used at any time without having previously registered to vote or requesting an absentee ballot in any election in which you are eligible. However, if you are using the FWAB to register it must be received by the registration deadline and Virginia recommends a new FPCA be submitted to request ballots for future elections. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes, if Virginia is the residence of your parent or legal guardian currently or immediately before moving outside the United States. However, your eligibility to vote may be restricted to Federal elections, please contact your local registrar for additional information. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? The FPCA only requires a witness if you are unable to sign the application due to physical disability. **The FWAB must be witnessed by one adult (age 18 or older).** Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? You can access information through the Virginia Department of Elections website [] ( You can also contact the general registrar for your locality using the list at the end of this guide. Please email for the quickest response.