How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and mail the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election office. This form allows election officials to identify you as a voter covered by *UOCAVA* (Federal law providing special protections). What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes. If you are a registered Republican, you can only vote in a Republican Primary. If you are registered Democratic, Independent or No Party Affiliation, you may vote in a Democratic Primary. How can I submit my FPCA? If you are already registered you may submit your FPCA by mail, email or fax to your local election official by mail. If you are not already registered to vote, you must submit your FPCA by mail to your local election official by mail. How often must I submit my FPCA? The FPCA is good for the calendar year in which it is submitted. You should submit a new one every time your address changes or every year. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? Fill out an FPCA or an Absentee Ballot Application form on [] ( and return to your county auditor. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)? You must return your voted ballot or FWAB by mail. What must I do to use a FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? You must have submitted a ballot request or FPCA to your county auditor before you can use the FWAB to vote. You may use the FWAB to register and vote if it is received by the registration deadline. The FWAB may only be used to vote in Federal elections. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Any overseas citizen may register and vote in any Federal, State, county, or local election held within South Dakota under the following condition: (1) The overseas citizen, or the spouse or parent of the overseas citizen, was last domiciled in South Dakota immediately prior to departure from the United States (2) an adult child of the overseas citizen has not reached the age of 22. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? You do not need a notary or witness for your FPCA, however stateside Uniformed Service members and their eligible family members may choose to have their FPCA notarized if it is easier than providing a photocopy of one of the following: South Dakota Driver's License or non-driver ID card, passport or other picture ID issued by the U.S. Government, a tribal photo ID or a current student ID issued by a South Dakota high school or post-secondary education institution. Commissioned officers in the military service of the United States may sign instead of a notary. You do not need a notary or witness for your FWAB. Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? Visit the Secretary of State's website at [] (