How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) or the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) to your local election office. Both forms can be used to register and identify you as a voter covered by *UOCAVA* (Federal law providing special protections). What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes. Voters registered as unaffiliated (as an "independent") may vote in State party primary elections, but will need to indicate the party primary that wish to participate. How can I submit my FPCA? By mail, email or fax. How often must I submit my FPCA? The FPCA (or FWAB if you submit the FWAB for registration) is valid in the calendar year in which either forms are received. You should submit a new application after January 1 of each year and every time your address changes. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? You may request an absentee ballot using the FPCA or request a State Absentee Ballot Request Form from your local board of elections. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)? By mail, email or fax. What must I do to use a FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? You may use the FWAB to register and vote. If you are not registered the FWAB must be received by the registration deadline. If you are registered and have requested your absentee ballot, you may use the FWAB to vote by the date of the election. You may use the FWAB to vote in Federal, State and local elections. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes, if a parent or guardian last lived and would be eligible to vote in North Carolina. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? No. Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? A "UOCAVA Election Notice" will be available on your local board of elections' website at least 30 to 50 days prior to the date of an election.