How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election official. This form allows election officials to identify you as a voter covered by *UOCAVA* (Federal law providing special protections). What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home in Iowa. If your last residence was in Iowa before moving overseas, your voting residence is your previous address in Iowa. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes. How can I submit my FPCA? By mail, email or fax. How often must I submit my FPCA? The FPCA is good for all Federal elections held during the calendar year in which you submit the FPCA. You may request ballots for additional elections during the year as well (i.e. school and city elections). If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? Fill out and return an FPCA to your local election official to ensure you receive absentee ballots for all Federal elections held during the calendar year in which you submit it. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)? By mail, unless you are an active member of the Uniformed Services or Iowa National Guard located outside the U.S. or any of its territories or in an area designated as an imminent danger pay area by the U.S. Department of Defense. What must I do to use the FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? You may vote a FWAB if you requested a regular absentee ballot more than 14 days prior to Election Day but have not received it. You must be located outside the U.S. or on active duty outside your Iowa county of residence to vote a FWAB. You may use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections only during elections where Federal offices are also on the ballot. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes, if either parent is a qualified Iowa voter. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? No. Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? A candidate list for Federal and State candidates will be available on the Iowa Secretary of State's website at [] ( Information for local candidates and ballot issues can be found by contacting your local county auditor.