How can I register to vote as a military or overseas voter? Fill out and return the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election office. This form allows you to register to vote and identifies you as a voter covered by UOCAVA (Federal law providing special protections). What is my voting residence? The place you consider your true, fixed and permanent home. Do I need to claim a political party to vote in primary elections? Yes. If you do not select a party, you can still vote in general elections but not in primary elections. How can I submit my FPCA? You may return your FPCA by mail, email or fax directly to your local election official. Addresses can be found at the end of this section. How often must I submit my FPCA? Each year. If I am currently registered to vote, how may I request an absentee ballot? You may request an absentee ballot by using the District's form available at [] ( or using the FPCA. How can I return my voted ballot or Federal Write-In Ballot (FWAB)? You may return your voted ballot or FWAB by mail, email or fax. What must I do to use the FWAB and can I use the FWAB to vote in State and local elections? The District of Columbia allows you to use the FWAB for registration and voting in primary, special and general elections for Federal and local offices and non-candidate ballot issues. If you are registered and have requested your absentee ballot, feel free to use the FWAB any time before an election. I am an American citizen, but I have never lived in the U.S., can I register to vote in this State? Yes, at the same voting residence in the District of Columbia where a parent or guardian would be eligible to vote. Will I need a notary or witness for my FPCA or FWAB? No Where can I find information about the candidates and/or other items that will be on my ballot? Please visit [] (